[CIG-CS] updating CIG buildbots to use Git

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 18 14:29:22 PDT 2013

Hi Brad,

The current CIG buildbot version is 0.7.5 dating from Dec. 2006 whereas the current official buildbot version is 0.8.7.  The CIG system also uses Python 2.4 and other outdated libraries.  From what I read on various forums, the compatibility between 0.7.x slaves and a 0.8.x master is questionable.  If we upgrade I'd like to completely wipe the old buildbot structure and use a completely updated version.

None of the other CIG codes are currently using the buildbot infrastructure so whether we can do this depends on PyLith and how much work it takes to customize buildbot.  Do you know how much customization was involved in setting up the PyLith buildbots?  Do you remember what needed to be customized?  I've been playing with the BaTLab system where compiling external libraries is very simple, so I would imagine buildbot should have similar ease of use and the customization was involved elsewhere.

I'd be willing to work with you, Charles and Matt over the next month to get this working on an updated buildbot system since we'll need it anyway as we move other codes to Git.  Let me know what you think,

-Eric