[Cig-jobpostings] PostDoc and PhD positions: Exascale Simulations of Earthquakes and Binary Neutron Stars

Alice Gabriel gabriel at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jun 26 04:01:15 PDT 2015

PostDoc and PhD positions:

Exascale Simulations of Earthquakes and Binary Neutron Stars

(at Technische Universität München, University of Trento, Durham University,
 Frankfurt Institute of Advanced Studies and Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
München)

ExaHyPE is a new project funded by the European Horizon 2020 initiative.
ExaHyPE's mission is to develop a novel simulation engine for hyperbolic
PDE problems at exascale. Within the four-year project period, we tackle
grand-challenge simulations in Seismology and Astrophysics. Applications
include multi-physics earthquake events, exploration scenarios and seismic
hazard assessment, as well as the collapse of a binary neutron star system
with the anticipated gravitational wave signal. The underlying simulation
engine will be based on high-order discontinuous Galerkin discretization on
dynamically adaptive Cartesian grids.

ExaHyPE brings together researchers in HPC, numerical mathematics,
computational seismology and computational astrophysics on a highly
interdisciplinary challenge. To join our ExaHyPE project team, we call for
applications for the following positions:

Project Coordinator (PostDoc position):
=======================================
In the ExaHyPE project, you will coordinate the joint research, software
development and outreach, and you will work actively towards an
interdisciplinary, networked, productive team. We are therefore looking for
a postdoc researcher with excellent interdisciplinary background and strong
motivation to drive cooperative research in an international team of young
researchers. Ideally, you have worked with discontinuous Galerkin methods
in HPC environments before, however, we see the ability and passion to
integrate and learn new techniques as your most important qualification.

We offer an exciting four-year perspective of early-career research in an
excellent international environment: we intend that the project coordinator
will work two years at Technische Universität München and one year each at
Durham University and at University of Trento.

Research Assistants:
====================
At each of the university partners, we offer one or two positions as
research assistant. All positions offer excellent research training
opportunities to obtain a PhD degree. If you have earned your master degree
(or will earn it in the near future) in a field related to computational
science, high performance computing, seismology or astrophysics, please
send your application to the ExaHyPE team.

The ExaHyPE partners are convinced that diversity in research groups (in
terms of gender, nationality, etc.) helps to improve the quality of
collaborative research - our joint recruiting procedure reflects this
conviction. All partner universities and the ExaHyPE project provide
dedicated support for researchers with families.

Applications:
=============
Applications will be considered until the positions are filled. To enable a
project start at Oct 1, 2015, we request applications before June 30 (esp.
for the coordinator position).
Please send a single PDF document, to bader at in.tum.de.

Michael Bader, Technische Universität München, bader at in.tum.de
Michael Dumbser, University of Trento, michael.dumbser at ing.unitn.it
Tobias Weinzierl , Durham University, tobias.weinzierl at durham.ac.uk
Luciano Rezzolla, Frankfurt Institute of Advanced Studies,
rezzolla at th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de
Alice Gabriel and Heiner Igel, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München,
gabriel at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de

Apologies for multiple postings!