[CIG-LONG] Gale 1.0.0

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Dec 11 17:42:11 PST 2006

Greetings,

I am pleased to announce a new release of Gale, an Arbitrary
Lagrangian-Eulerian code for the long term tectonics community.  This
release should be reliable enough for doing real work.  You can
download the code from

  http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/long/gale/

You can read installation instructions in the bundled README and
INSTALL files.

Release Notes:

  * Deformed Upper boundaries are now supported.

  * Narrow faults now work well.

  * Stress boundary conditions are now supported, although it may be a
    little flaky.

  * Parallel works better, but is still a bit flaky

  * Binaries are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

  * There is now an example of relaxation of topography.

  * The documentation has been significantly improved.

While this release should be useful to many researchers, we continue
development.  Specifically, we will be working on

  * Interfacing custom surface process models
  * Frictional boundary conditions
  * Deformed lower boundaries

Enjoy,
Walter Landry