[CIG-LONG] Cumulative strain history in Gale et alia

Bradford H. Hager bhhager at mit.edu
Sat Oct 6 14:28:27 PDT 2007

Christoph and others-

I'd also be interested in any benchmarking, as well as learning some
"tricks of the trade" running GALE.

I am running some simple wedge models with viscous and Coulomb
rheologies.   I find that viscous problems run quickly, and problems
where the deformation is all by plastic deformation converge, but
take a lot longer.  However, problems where I'd expect the
deformation to be mixed viscous and plastic do not converge before my
patience expires, contrary to my expectation that run times should be
intermediate between the two extremes.

Also, increasing the tolerance by a factor of 3 can also increase the
run time by a lot.

Can anyone point me to an explanation of what effects run times?

Thanks,

Brad Hager