[CIG-LONG] Re:Re: Re: Cumulative strain history in Gale et alia - Stokes, example (Walter Landry)

Christoph Schrank schrank at geology.utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 12 12:21:59 PDT 2007

Hi, Walter,

I wanted to simulate the classical simple Physics experiment with a
solid ball falling in a fluid in a pipe where the frictional force is
given by:

F_r = 6phrv,

lifting force by: F_l = -r_fluid V_ball g,

and Fg=r_ball V_ball g. Adding these up to zero for constant sinking
velocity leads to: v_sink =(2/9)(r_ball - r_fluid )r^2 g/h.

I approximated the ball as a high-viscosity fluid but literally no
deformation occured. Since there should be no free-slip conditions at
the surface of the ball in Gale, I would have suggested to obtain a
lower sinking velocity. If one applies the correction (for the
analytical solution) regarding the width of the pipe (with no-slip bc's)
the analytical velocity decreases more. Gale reaches an approximately
constant velocity for the long-pipe input file I attached, so I thought
this might applicable. I hope the sub- and superscripts show up properly
in the above equations.

Cheers

Christoph

--