[CIG-LONG] displaying global tomographic data

Eh Tan tan2 at geodynamics.org
Mon Aug 25 11:41:37 PDT 2008

Douwe.VanderMeer at shell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For personal research on mantle convection, I am looking for
> displaying software able to show cross-sections of global seismic wave
> tomographic data, notably vertical cross-sections on a Windows
> platform. Since your group have vast experience in this, which package
> of your website would be the most suitable/ do you recommend to download?
>
> Regards,
>
> Douwe van der Meer

Hi Douwe,

(cc to cig-seismo)

Most 3D visualization programs, e.g. OpenDX, Paraview, and LLNL's ViSit,
can display tomography cross-section with ease. The question is how to
convert the tomography model into a file format that the visualization
program can understand. This subject might be better discussed on
cig-seismo mailing list.

On the other hand, the GEON project has a nice visualization program
GEON IDV bundled with tomography data. This could be what you want.
http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDVtable.html

Eh Tan
Staff Scientist
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
2750 E. Washington Blvd. Suite 210
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 395-1693
http://www.geodynamics.org