[CIG-LONG] Gale

Ritske S. Huismans Ritske.Huismans at geo.uib.no
Sat Sep 20 13:23:37 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am interested to use Gale for comparison with other ALE codes in
2D/3D.
I have installed Gale on our system, it runs the basic tests fine.

some questions / comments that I am happy to get some feedback on:
1. There are some small differences in model results from visual
comparison with the Gale manual.

2. Most notably, the 2D Tibet example does not show plastic localisation
when I run it, not sure what may be different.

3. I have tried to run the tibet3d.xml example but get memory failures
of ptsc, even if I reduce the model resolution to
something small, e.g. 16 x 16 x 4
I have tried to run this last example at 256 cpu with 1 Gb/core. this
should be enough.

I am especially interested in feedback how to get Gale running for 3D
problems including plastic localisation.
Thanks for any comments you can give in this regard,

Best wishes,
Ritske

-
Dr Ritske S. Huismans
Professor in Structural Geology / Tectonics
Department of Earth Science, University of Bergen
Allegaten 41, N-5007 Bergen, Norway
Tel: 	+ (47) 55 58 81 17
Mob:	+ (47) 92 27 09 30
Fax: 	+ (47) 55 58 36 60