[CIG-LONG] Gale

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Sun Sep 21 11:55:18 PDT 2008

"Ritske S. Huismans" <Ritske.Huismans at geo.uib.no> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested to use Gale for comparison with other ALE codes in
> 2D/3D.
> I have installed Gale on our system, it runs the basic tests fine.
>
> some questions / comments that I am happy to get some feedback on:
> 1. There are some small differences in model results from visual
> comparison with the Gale manual.
>
> 2. Most notably, the 2D Tibet example does not show plastic localisation
> when I run it, not sure what may be different.

It has been a while since I ran it, and the implementation of Mohr
Coulomb has changed a lot since then.  I should run it again.

> 3. I have tried to run the tibet3d.xml example but get memory failures
> of ptsc, even if I reduce the model resolution to
> something small, e.g. 16 x 16 x 4
> I have tried to run this last example at 256 cpu with 1 Gb/core. this
> should be enough.

It may be that petsc is catching a place where Gale is writing to
invalid memory.  What is the exact error that you get?  For the small
model, can you run it on one processor?

> I am especially interested in feedback how to get Gale running for 3D
> problems including plastic localisation.
> Thanks for any comments you can give in this regard,

I am out of town right now, so it will take me a few days to run these
models again.

walter at geodynamics.org