[CIG-LONG] Thermal condition

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri Dec 4 23:17:20 PST 2009

Taichi SATO <taichix at ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hello, everyone
>
> I am still constructing mid-ocean ridge acression
> model. I think it is getting better but I have two
> questions about thermal condition.
>
> 1. Is it possible to keep initial thermal condition?
> As simulation proceeds, high temperature region in
> mantle will broaden. I think it is not suitable
> for mid-ocean ridge process.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I thought this should be
possible, but I kept running into issues.  I will work on it some
more.

> 2. AnalyticalTemperatureIC does not work.
> At the moment, I use TemperatureProfile for
> thermal condition, but the function is for
> continental lithosphere modeling. So I would like
> to use more suitable function, such as what
> contains error function, for mid-ocean ridge
> modeling .
> So, I tried to apply to apply
> AnalyticalTemperatureIC, but it does not work. (I
> do not know whether this function is suitable for
> my modeling...)

The AnalyticalTemperatureIC is really only meant for a benchmark.  You
can read about the benchmark in

  http://www.geo.lsa.umich.edu/~keken/papers/1997_vanKeken_et_al_JGR_15.pdf

I have not yet run the benchmark, but the function should work.  Note
that for more realistic sized boxes, you will probably always get
either 0 or 1.

walter at geodynamics.org