[CIG-LONG] Support in Gale

pkao at umn.edu pkao at umn.edu
Thu Dec 10 09:33:30 PST 2009

Dear CIG support staffs,

We almost finish our studies in Gale by following all exercises in user
manual. For now, one thing we are highly concerned: Is Gale able to launch
the simulation using an initial-data file (or a renewed input file
following large-deformations) which was previously computed and outputted
by Gale or other softwares? This renewed input file might be in text,
ASCII, or ParaView-image (VTK) format, and the given input data includes
the heterogeneous rheologies, properties, and historical data (e.g.
accumulated stress/strain) at different coordinate locations (x, y, z) of
particles. Practically, we plan to investigate the underground water flow
(probably extent to volcano dynamics in the future) based on crust
deformation which is simulated by Gale, and by means of introducing our own
porous fluid flow and thermal models. Since such problems using the
different codes might be 2-ways coupled (solid deformation <-->
fluid/thermal flow), we need the flexibility for user that, the initial
shape can be specified with more complicate geometry than a simple
sine-surface curve, and the heterogeneous geologic data, which might be
gained by field investigation or previous simulations, can easily be setup
at each PIC node within Gale’s renewed input/initial file. Since the Gale’s
user manual does not mention this part, it will be much grateful if you can
provide some commends or instructions. We look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Po-Hao Kao
Geofluids Post-Doctoral Assistant