[CIG-LONG] Support in Gale

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Thu Dec 10 11:17:14 PST 2009

pkao at umn.edu wrote:
> Dear CIG support staffs,
>
> We almost finish our studies in Gale by following all exercises in user
> manual. For now, one thing we are highly concerned: Is Gale able to launch
> the simulation using an initial-data file (or a renewed input file
> following large-deformations) which was previously computed and outputted
> by Gale or other softwares?

The current version of Gale does not have a way of restarting a run.
The next version, due in late January, will have that.  It uses HDF5,
so in principal you can convert your arbitrary initial data to the
HDF5 schema that Gale uses.  I have not looked into this, so I do not
know how hard that would be.

In the meantime, what some people have done is to convert their
initial data into an input file using lots of tiny boxes.  This is not
ideal and makes for an extremely large input file, but does seem to
work.  The difficulty is that you would have to write the converter to
XML.  If you need assistance in that, I can help.