[CIG-LONG] Compiling Gale from Source Code?

Neil de Laplante neildlp at mit.edu
Tue Jan 13 12:31:35 PST 2009

Hello Walter,

I got the previous problem figured out; it was actually a PETSc issue hidden
in not having the correct fortran compiler installed, making for a pretty
cryptic error message.  Anyway, I have a new problem:

When I run "make -d" in the Gale home directory, it crashes when it can't
find a StGermain file deep in the code (I think):

≈ unknown option:
-rpath=/Users/oeit/Documents/NdLp_CUDA/PETSc/petsc-2.3.2-p10/lib/darwin9.6.0-c-debug
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [build/StGermain/Base/FlattenXML/src/FlattenXML] Error 1
Reaping losing child 0x001095f0 PID 28833
make: *** [all] Error 2
Removing child 0x001095f0 PID 28833 from chain.

Sure enough, there's no /src/FlattenXML directory or file, so I don't know
what it was looking for or why.  Any suggestions?

For a bit of context, I'm trying to recompile it myself to add debugging
flags so that I can profile the code.  Once I've got that figured out I'm
going to port the bottlenecks, which I'm guessing are the finite element
integrals and matrix solvers, to compute on Graphics Processing Units (GPUs)
using CUDA.

Thanks!

Neil

--
Neil de Laplante

PhD Candidate in Geophysics
Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave 54-615
Cambridge, MA, USA 02139
(617) 999-6528