[CIG-LONG] Compiling Gale from Source Code?

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Jan 13 10:35:45 PST 2009

Sue Kientz <sue at geodynamics.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to adapt Gale to run on some different hardware, but I'm
> having a heck of a time figuring out how to compile it from the source
> code; I can't find a project-wide makefile anywhere.  Do I have to
> create my own?  I'd really like to avoid that as it's a huge code whose
> many components and linkages I don't have a complete handle on yet.  I
> downloaded the June 15/08 tarball.  Anything you can point me towards
> for help would be much appreciated!

Running "configure" creates "Makefile" from "Makefile.in" and
"configure_vars" from "configure_vars.in".  Running make just calls
scons/scons.py.  So the real makefile is "SConstruct".

If you need to fiddle with options to get it to compile, the simplest
way to do that is to fiddle with the options to "configure".  What is
the error you are getting?

walter at geodynamics.org