[CIG-LONG] Visualization with SNAC, how do I know how the mesh was decomposed?

Eunseo Choi echoi at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 20 15:44:44 PST 2009

Mark Fleharty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to visualize some output from Snac.  The output is from
> cookbook1.xml which has a mesh of 21x6x41.  I've run it on 40
> processors and now I'm trying to convert it to VTK format.
>
> I ran:
> snac2vtk 20 5 40 4 1 8          (I was unsure how the subdivision
> would actually happen here)
> This produced the vts, and pvts files, but when I read them in
> paraview I get a complaint:
>
>> following extents:
>>    0 19  0 4  8 39
>> The UpdateExtent cannot be filled.
>>

> Any ideas?

Hello, Mark

SNAC does not directly write the processor numbers in each dimension.
Instead, the domain decomposition info should be retrieved from the
file, "sim.0".

sim.0 contains a single line composed of three numbers.
Each number is the element number of a subdomain in the x, y, and z
direction.
For instance, if your sim.0 file has 4 5 5, it means 5 and 8 processors
were assigned to x and z direction (of course, 1 for y).
Verification is trivial: 4*5=20 and 5*8=40, where 20 and 40 are the
global element number of your mesh.

In this case, the correct usage of snac2vtk would be
snac2vtk 21 6 41 5 1 8.

Cheers,
Eunseo

--