[CIG-LONG] Gale, boundary velocity

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri Nov 6 13:46:58 PST 2009

wbjlyy <wbjlyy at 126.com> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam£º
>      I am a postgraduate student of China University of petroleum in Beijing,
> China. I am doing some research on the Sandbox Analogue experiment.Now,I am
> interested in numerical sandbox  experiment with Gale code.
>    As we all know ,the rubber sheet paly a very important role in shortening
> and extension analogoue experiments. How to simulate the role of the rubber
> sheet during the shortening or extension experiments with Gale. especially,
> both side wall moving(shortening or extension) lead to bottom velocity change
> in numerical simulation. Could you give some suggestions on dealing with this
> problem.

Do you mean a setup like this?

  http://sci.gallaudet.edu/GIS/Sandbox.html

  (scroll down to "A Sandbox Experiment:  Extension")

I assume that the tension in the rubber sheet is not significantly
affected by the sand on top. In that case, to get the velocity along
the rubber sheet, you just linearly interpolate between the two edges.

To implement this in Gale, we need to modify the existing
StandardConditionFunction "StepFunction".  We just need to add a
velocity of the moving plate.

If you could describe your problem in more detail, I could probably
make an input file for you.

walter at geodynamics.org