[CIG-LONG] Supports in developing Gale

pkao at umn.edu pkao at umn.edu
Mon Nov 23 20:35:41 PST 2009

Dear Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics(CIG) staffs / members,

I am a postdoc in the Geofluids Research Group
(www.geo.umn.edu/orgs/geofluids) in the Department of Geology and
Geophysics at the University of Minnesota. My postdoc adviser is Dr. Martin
Saar and I am also working closely with Dr. Christian Teyssier. They have
received an NSF grant to include porous medium fluid flow into a
geodynamics code such as Ellipsis or Gale. Specifically, we are interested
in including groundwater or partial melt flow capabilities into Gale, if
they do not already exist. Could you let us know if this capability already
exists in Gale (or is under development) or if there is interest in us
initiating this effort.

Also, I have downloaded the user manual from the Gale website, and have
been trying to figure out how the Gale code works and what geologic
applications it can simulate. The user manual is very clear, however, I
have not found much detail for developers on how the Gale code is
structured. Are there any developers resources that we could get access to?

We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to participate in the
development of Gale, particularly with respect to introducing porous medium
fluid flow. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Po-Hao Kao
Geofluids Post-Doctoral Assistant
Department of Geology and Geophysics