[CIG-LONG] Supports in developing Gale

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Nov 24 14:23:28 PST 2009

pkao at umn.edu wrote:
> Dear Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics(CIG) staffs / members,
>
> I am a postdoc in the Geofluids Research Group
> (www.geo.umn.edu/orgs/geofluids) in the Department of Geology and
> Geophysics at the University of Minnesota. My postdoc adviser is Dr. Martin
> Saar and I am also working closely with Dr. Christian Teyssier. They have
> received an NSF grant to include porous medium fluid flow into a
> geodynamics code such as Ellipsis or Gale. Specifically, we are interested
> in including groundwater or partial melt flow capabilities into Gale, if
> they do not already exist. Could you let us know if this capability already
> exists in Gale (or is under development) or if there is interest in us
> initiating this effort.

There is some melt code mentioned in

  http://www.geodynamics.org/pipermail/cig-long/2009-October/000246.html

and followup messages.  I have not looked at it at all.

> Also, I have downloaded the user manual from the Gale website, and have
> been trying to figure out how the Gale code works and what geologic
> applications it can simulate. The user manual is very clear, however, I
> have not found much detail for developers on how the Gale code is
> structured. Are there any developers resources that we could get access to?

I presented some developer information at the developers workshop.
You can get all of the talks at

  http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/long/workshops/gale-dev-mtg09

> We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to participate in the
> development of Gale, particularly with respect to introducing porous medium
> fluid flow. We look forward to hearing from you.

If you want to start modifying the code, I would recommend that you
use the Mercurial repositories instead of the Subversion repository.
They have basically the VPAC/Monash code with the Gale enhancements as
I get them done.  Many things have changed, and it is still in a bit
of flux, but I think it is the best code to base any significant
modifications on.

In any case, you can get the code with the commands

  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld uworld_walter
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/PICellerator uworld_walter/PICellerator
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/StGermain uworld_walter/StGermain
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/StgDomain uworld_walter/StgDomain
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/StgFEM uworld_walter/StgFEM
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/Underworld uworld_walter/Underworld
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/config uworld_walter/config
  hg clone http://geodynamics.org/hg/long/3D/uworld/gLucifer uworld_walter/gLucifer

Are you thinking of getting started immediately, or will it not be
until later?

walter at geodynamics.org