[CIG-LONG] Non-Newtonian rheology scaling !

Nicolas RIEL nicolas.riel at free.fr
Wed Aug 18 08:20:19 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm encountering some problems when scaling the "A" (creeping parameter) for
the non-newtonian rheology.
In gale user manual (2.2.8.2) it is said that the unit of A parameter is *
s(-1/n).Pa(-1)
*For other authors the unit of this parameter is most of the time in *
Pa(-n).s(-1)* or *Pa.s(1/n).*

I will take an example in order to understand :

A = 262800* Pa.s(1/n)*
n = 4*

*If I want to translate this value for gale, first I have to change the
units for *s(-1/n).Pa(-1) *by multplying with ^(-1) ?

Then A unscaled becomes for gale 262800^(-1) = 3.8051e-6

Based on that and following gale user manual A scaled for gale is 3.8051e-6
* (10e25)^(1/n) = 6.7574
However in the dyke example the scaling of A is around 1e-12.

I'm wondering if there a mistake for the given scaling equation. Maybe this
equation should be Anew = Aold(10e25)^(-1/n) ?

When I use this, I obtain Anew = 2.1368e-12 and this works

Do you have any suggestions about this ?

Nicolas Riel