[CIG-LONG] tracking sedimentary layers during deformation

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri Feb 5 13:01:03 PST 2010

Tristan Salles-Taing <sallestaing at gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering the particle tracer attached is an example where it crashes.

I finally managed to update the example for the latest version in the
mercurial repository (see attached).  It does not seem to have a
problem.  In general I might expect a problem with defining points
exactly on the surface.  The mesh may not exactly trace the surface,
so interpolation errors may put the points outside of the domain.

Even if it works at the beginning, as the particles move,
interpolation errors may cause the particles to move outside of the
mesh.  Then the particle will simply be deleted.  It is safest to
define the particles a little inside the mesh.

> * Is it possible to get a new format to store and record these particles?
> Something like:
> <struct name="passiveTracerParticleLayout">
>    <param name="Type">ManualParticleLayout</param>
>    <param name="inFileParticlePositions">nameofthefile</param>
> </struct>
> where name of the file record the (x,y,z) coordinates of the tracers. It will
> be clearer in the input file when dealing with a large number of particles.

You can put the whole passive tracers construct in their own file, and
then include that file.  I am including an example.  It is not quite
as nice, but it should work for you.

> Maybe the same could be use to output tracers motion, it will help
> to reduce the number of files. Each particle final position for the
> considered file could be store in the same file.

That would be nice as an option.  I do not have time right now to do
that.  You can create a file like that with the script

  grep "^              2 " TraceSurfPt.* > TraceSurfPt.final

where you replace "2" with the last timestep.

walter at geodynamics.org