[CIG-LONG] Faults do not depart away from the axis

Garrett Apuzen-Ito gito at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 9 08:17:20 PDT 2010

Hi Taichi,

  I haven't followed all of your last few conversations, but here are a couple of suggestions.
(1) You should check the rate that the dike zone is widening.  If it is widening and the fault(s) is on the side of the dike zone then the fault should be moving, except if the rate the dike is opening is about half the spreading rate (i.e., M=0.5, see Buck et al. 2005 or Behn & Ito 2008).  If the dike is NOT opening at half the spreading rate then the fault will be moving but I suppose it is possible that it is lengthening toward the ridge axis and therefore appears to be stationary.
(2) I originally set vz=0 on the top and bottom of the dike so that all of the imposed divergence is accommodated by the dike widening.  This is the best way to control the rate of dike widening.  But this might prevent the dike from moving up in down naturally with the surrounding material.  Did you try only setting vz=0 on the bottom and not specifying vz (or vx) on the top of the dike?

Garrett