[CIG-LONG] Faults do not depart away from the axis

Taichi SATO taichix at aori.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jun 8 19:26:41 PDT 2010

Hi,

I still have problem with the dike hill of
mid-ocean ridge modeling.
But I found another problem. Faults initiated at
the axis do not depart away from the axis.

I think this is the same problem written in the
supplemental paper of the Buck et al., 2005, Nature.
I picked up the sentences from the paper,

---------
  Accumulation of plastic deformation in the dyke
tends to lock the location of tectonic faulting at
the base of the dyke and does not allow the faults
to depart away from the axis as is observed. To
solve this problem strain accumulation in the dyke
is limited to smaller amount than the initial
weakening necessary to form a fault (5 MPa of
cohesion reduction). This way a fault forms and
can move away from the axis.

I have no idea how to apply this solution to the Gale.
Would you give me some suggestion?

Sincerely,

Taichi