[CIG-LONG] FW: Convergence issues with long-term extension models

Tim Rawling tim at modeltheearth.com
Sat Mar 13 13:49:44 PST 2010

Hi cig-long group

sorry for the email I sent earlier, I meant for it to go just to Gilly
but I am happy for any suggestions from the group.  I am new to using
Gale but have been working with Gilly on some problems related to
collision and closure of asymmetric basins constrained by some deep
reflection seismic we acquired recently.  I am now extending the work
Gilly did a little by looking at how the variation in rheology of that
accreted basement may have effected the geometry of a subsequent
extensional event.

I am currently trying to set up a model that has a pre-existing
weakness that cuts diagonally across the model volume (a relay fault if
you like).  The shape would intersect the model front and right
boundaries but not the back or left boundaries. Is it possible to
create a shape like this in 3D using PolygonShape or is there are
better way to do it that anyone can suggest?

Cheers and thanks

Tim

Dr Tim Rawling
Manager Earth Systems Modelling