[CIG-LONG] Problem in viewing Snac results with ParaView

Eunseo Choi echoi at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon May 17 02:37:02 PDT 2010

Hi, Masako,

I will try to reproduce your problem on a Mac myself.

Your observations are puzzling but still we can infer a couple of things:
1. ParaView works fine (from the first bullet).
2. Conversion of raw files to vts, pvts works, too (from the second bullet).

I guess it will be useful to convert your raw outputs on my machine and
try to visualize them on my ParaView.
So, please send me a set of ParaView-crashing binary outputs.
Thank you.

Eunseo

On 05/15/2010 04:36 PM, masako.tominaga wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to model fracture dynamics in upper ocean crust  by using Snac.
>
> I have been trying to visualize calculation results from Snac (.pvtk)
> using ParaView; however, a problem persists, and so I cannot fully
> view what results look like at this moment. This error happens not
> only for very simple 2D model, but also for cookbook1.
>
> The error message is always like:
> /Users/partyd/Dashboards/Mytests/ParaView-3-8-0/ParaView/VTK/IO/vtkXMLStructuredDataReader.cxx,
> line 326
> vtkXMLStructuredGridReader (0x1221db030) : Error reading extent 0 20 0
> 10 0 1 from piece 0
>
> Some more puzzling facts:
> * I could visualize the same pvtk files on my friends' ParaView
> without any error message.
> * I converted .0 files that are output by my friend's Snac using the
> same input.xml into PVTK files and these work with my ParaView without
> problem.
>
> * This error occurs at the same time step in running a .pvtk data set.
> * This problem occurs at different time step in different data set.
> * Once I see this error message, ParaView immediately crashes.
> * I use Mac OS (10.6.2), and installed Snac and other required
> software (e.g. mpich2) from source code.
> * I tried not only the latest ParaView, but also previous ones, but
> the same error occurs.
> * If I erase the problematic time step, some .pvtk sets work in
> visualization; however, it a .pvtk set has
> this error message at the time step 1, nothing works even if I erase
> the time step.
>
> Has anybody encountered similar problem, or do you have any advice to
> solve this?
>
> I'd greatly appreciate your help,
> Masako

Eunseo Choi