[CIG-LONG] Plateau implementation

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Nov 1 13:21:18 PDT 2010

Patrice Rey <patrice.rey at me.com> wrote:
> G'day Walter
>

> I am trying to implement a model involving a plateau (2000 m thick continental flood basalt), but for some reason the plateau does not show up (I have tried both Gale 1.5 and 1.6).
>
> I am using the following surfaceAdaptor (because of the symmetry I am implementing only half a plateau).
>
>     <struct name="surfaceAdaptor">
>       <param name="Type">SurfaceAdaptor</param>
>       <param name="mesh">mesh-linear</param>
>       <param name="sourceGenerator">linearMesh-generator</param>
>       <param name="topsurfaceType">plateau</param>
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This should be "topSurfaceType".  Note the capitalization.

>       <param name="topX1">0</param>
>       <param name="topX2">0</param>

Setting the two numbers to be equal can cause trouble.  In this case,
at x=0, it is not clear whether you want the height to be "0" or
"2000".  You end up getting a crash at runtime.

>       <param name="topX3">150000</param>
>       <param name="topX4">156000</param>
>       <param name="topHeight">2000</param>
>     </struct>
>

> This surfaceAdaptor should be filled with the following material (which covers the entire continental crust, but I understand this material should be clipped by the surfaceAdaptor).   For some reason this does not work.
>
> 	<struct name="AnomalyShape1">
>       <param name="Type">Box</param>
>       <param name="startX">minX</param>
>       <param name="endX">maxX</param>
>       <param name="startY">70000</param>
>       <param name="endY">72000</param>
>       <param name="startZ">minZ</param>
>       <param name="endZ">maxZ</param>
> 	</struct>
>
> Can you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

This shape is fine, but everywhere else you have defined maxY=72000.
The surfaceAdaptor just adds a number to the current height.  So it
would make a plateau with a height of 72000+2000=74000.  So I changed
maxY to 70000.

Also, it turns out that you do not fix vy anywhere.  You have to set
that somewhere.  There is a commented out section which sets the
bottom to free slip.  I uncommented that.

I am attaching a somewhat fixed input file.  There seems to be some
excess compressibility issues still to be worked out.

walter at geodynamics.org