[CIG-LONG] Questions about Non-Newtonian Rheology

Brian Wilson bjwilson83 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:19:54 PST 2010

Hi all,

I have a few questions about the power law creep example in the Gale user
manual and non-Newtonian rheology in general in Gale. I'm new to this list
so I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere; if so could
someone please point me in the right direction?

1)  What is the strain rate invariant in Gale? Largest eigenvalue? Trace?

2) In the example, n is obviously the power, but what do A and T_0
represent? What is the constitutive equation here?

3) Assuming the constitutive equation is of the form "stress = k * |strain
rate|^(n-1) * strain rate", where k measures the consistency of the fluid,
for shear thinning or thickening fluids (this is what I have found in the
literature), what norm is used for the strain rate? The invariant? In this
case does Gale start with an initial guess for the strain rate inside the
norm and then iterate until the strain rate converges?

Thanks so much,
Brian Wilson (CSU)