[CIG-LONG] Alleviating pressure singularity in corner-flow mantle-wedge subduction zone model

Karen Paczkowski karen.paczkowski at yale.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:06:36 PST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to write a simple corner-flow mantle-wedge subduction zone
model using Gale.  Since, in the corner of the wedge the velocity
abruptly changes from v=vslab along the slab to v=0 along the
overriding plate a pressure singularity develops in the corner of the
wedge.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and what
they did to alleviate the pressure singularity in the corner?

I have tried adding a small shape along the slab-mantle interface
right near the corner that has a velocity with a gradient going from
v=0 to v=slab over a couple of resolution points.  This mainly seems
to move my pressure singularity around, but not elimiate it.

Any advice people have on alleviating the pressure singularity in a
corner-flow subduction model would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Karen