[CIG-LONG] Question on scaling

Patrice Rey patrice.rey at me.com
Wed Jan 26 11:40:19 PST 2011

Hi Brian

My understanding is that in the energy equation the radiogenic heat production is in Kelvin per seconds per kilogram.

Example.
Heat production: 1e-6 W/m-3
Density: 2700 kg.m-3,
Heat Capacity: 1000 J/K becomes:

Heat production in Kelvin per seconds per Kilogram:  (1e-6)/(2700*1000) = 3.7e-13 K/s/kg

Then you multiply this by the scaling factor of radiogenic heat production (mass/length/time^3) to get the scaled value.

Cheers

Patrice