[CIG-LONG] Conservation of Mass

laetitia le pourhiet laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr
Sat Sep 24 05:32:03 PDT 2011

Louis,

I didn't get completely your message..

Is there a way or not in the current version of gale to get Q1P0 and/or
Q2P1 working?
Or do you recommend using Q1P0 with UW?
if so, it would be very usefull to provide users with example files with
the source of gale.

Laetitia

On 9/24/11 1:28 PM, Louis Moresi wrote:
> For your information cig-long readers, Walter, Louise and I had a
> conversation around this issue two weeks ago.
>
> I don't think there are any supporters of Q1Q1 for this particular
> problem left any more. Underworld defaults to Q1P0 but provides
> recovered deviatoric stress and pressure quantities which mitigate the
> checkerboard problem. This can be configured quickly and is at least
> well-understood and tested.
>
> Q2P1 would be useful to have next. It is implemented in underworld
> (and therefore gale) but there are some shortcomings / bugs left to
> iron out with the current integration scheme for PIC and (my guess is
> that) there are some outstanding issues with multigrid and some of the
> processing plugins. I am not sure about the implementation of the
> stress / pressure recovery for these elements although they are likely
> to be less important.
>
> Walter was very keen to get this particular element working in gale
> before he steps back from active development.
>
> Louis
>

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 20:16, laetitia le pourhiet
> <laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr <mailto:laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Brian and the others,
>
>     There is not much you can do about that I gave up trying to do
>     such models with Gale.
>     It is now established Q1Q1 elements are not suited for this kind
>     of problems.
>     What you can do is  to
>     1) Remove the free surface/sky to work with delta rho instead of rho
>     2) Increase the resolution.
>
>     Basically you should only use these elements for extended thin
>     shit problems.
>
>     The old Q1P0 had other problems, but they could be used to model
>     drip/subduction problems.
>
>     If CIG still wants to spend some time/money on Gale
>     It would be usefull to have a switch between elements, like in UW
>     so that depending on the model set up we can choose the best
>     suited element.
>
>     hope this was helpfull
>
>     Laetitia
>

>     On 9/24/11 12:44 AM, Brian Wilson wrote:
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     I'm working on a model of lithospheric drip and despite having
>>     zero flux on the boundaries, I am getting downward velocities
>>     with no compensating upwelling, which would seem to violate the
>>     divergence free condition. Has anybody else had a similar problem
>>     and/or figured out a solution? I've attached a copy of my input
>>     file if anyone wants to look at it; everything is scaled as
>>     follows: distance: km, mass: 10^15 kg, time: m.y.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Brian

>     --
>     *Dr Laetitia Le Pourhiet*<\n> MCF - Institut des Sciences de la
>     Terre Paris - UPMC<\n> tel : +33 1 44 27 58 83
>     <tel:%2B33%201%2044%2027%2058%2083><\n> web :
>     http://perso.numericable.com/laetitia.le.pourhiet/index.html<\n>

> [...]

Paris - UPMC<\n> tel : +33 1 44 27 58 83<\n> web :
http://perso.numericable.com/laetitia.le.pourhiet/index.html<\n>