[CIG-LONG] StaticBottom

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Apr 10 15:33:56 PDT 2012

Matty Mookerjee <matty.mookerjee at sonoma.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am having some difficulty with a model and implementing
> StaticBottom.  I am using a SurfaceAdaptor to define the bottom of
> my model and then I am imposing a velocity boundary condition to one
> side of my model in the hopes of moving material over this irregular
> bottom surface.  Unfortunately, the bottom is moving along with the
> material.  I tried defining "StaticBottom": "True in EulerDeform,
> but that seems to have no effect.
>
> Any advice?

The example in

  input/cookbook/fixed_bottom.json

does this kind of thing.  Maybe you are forgetting StaticLeft?  If you
are trying to actually move the side of the model, then will be more
tricky.  Do you need to do that?

> Another issue is that as the model is configured currently, there is
> air above the deforming material.  Because the air has such weak
> properties, the strain within the air dwarfs the strain accumulating
> in the solid material.  Can I run the model with no air/background
> rheology?  So far any attempts to do this have resulted in a
> segmentation fault.

You should not have to have an air layer.  The cookbooks have
deforming surfaces but none of them use air layers. Could you send the
input file?