[CIG-LONG] Gale in 3D

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Wed May 16 12:33:12 PDT 2012

Rainer Nerlich <rainer at simula.no> wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> after having lots of trouble configuring Gale (I think there must be
> something wrong in the SConfigure script - at least the "normal" way of
> prescribing the path to certain libraries such as libxml2 does not work), I
> have finally installed it on my computer. However, 2D works fine (the
> results look just like in the user manual) but 3D does not. Running the
> code in debugger mode gives me:
>
> (gdb) run input/cookbook/extension3D.json
> Starting program: /home/simula/gale/build/bin/Gale
> input/cookbook/extension3D.json
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
> TimeStep = 0, Time = 0

> 0x0000000000e537db in _BuoyancyDampingTerm_AssembleElement
> (matrixTerm=0x1a6a790, stiffnessMatrix=0x1a68330,
>     lElement_I=0, sle=0x1a6a1c0, context=0x1a5e420, elStiffMat=0x2110310)
>     at PICellerator/Utils/src/BuoyancyDampingTerm.cxx:233
> 233                    ElementType_Jacobian(elementType,variable1->feMesh,
> (gdb)
>
> As you see this is not the Triquadratic error message anymore, but I assume
> the problem is the same as for our cluster installation and the code just
> stops at different incidents. I tested both Mesh_Algorithym.cxx versions
> (old and new), but the error message remains the same and neither one
> worked.
>
> Do you have any idea what to do now, perhaps based on the new error
> message? Does 3D work entirely fine for you? In one of your emails you
> mentioned that thermal.json does not work in 3D but extension3D.json does.
> Do you know why there is a problem with thermal.json? Could you also test
> the attached input files, which are similar to my model? If all works for
> you with the latest Gale version from the repository (I got it yesterday),
> it must be my installation, but I really wonder where the problem could be
> since it works in 2D.

3D works fine for me.  Your input file

  10_19_velocity_temp_BCs_temp_ICs.json

works fine.  thermal.json does not work because not all of the
necessary 3D boundary conditions are set.  If extension3D.json is
crashing for you, then there is almost certainly something wrong with
your installation.  Can you send

  config.log
  config.cfg