[CIG-LONG] Gale 2.0.1

Laetitia Le Pourhiet laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr
Mon Sep 3 08:51:52 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I have been asked this question by some people including eunso.

Somehow, the link to gale 1.6.1 has been removed from the webage
and it is not in the user manual anymore.

I still have the mercurial links to this version in the repository but
it could be nice for people who would like to run Q1Q1 with multigrid
to have the latest tarball of 1.6.1 on the website as well as the
mercurial links.

many thanks,

Laetitia

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Walter Landry <wlandry at caltech.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am pleased to announce the release of Gale 2.0.1, a finite element
> code for the long term tectonics community.  The main feature of this
> release is the addition of a stabilizing term for models with a free
> surface.  Everyone is encouraged to upgrade.  The release notes are
> attached below.
>
> You can download binaries or the source code from
>
>    http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/gale/
>
> Installation instructions are in the bundled README and INSTALL files.
>
> My last day at CIG is this Friday.  So if you run into problems,
> please direct any questions to the mailing list at
> cig-long at geodynamics.org.
>
> Cheers,
> Walter Landry
>
> 2.0.1
> ----------------------------------
>
> * A free surface stabilization term has been implemented.  This
>   applies a non-linear damping term to all models by default.
>
> * The temperature mesh has been changed to be Q2, the same as the
>   velocity mesh.  This fixes problems when running thermal problems
>   with distorting meshes.
>
> * Documentation has been added for modeling density and expansivity
>   changes as an arbitrary function of pressure and/or temperature.  This
>   is a simple way of modeling phase transitions.
>
> * You may now specify a moving static side.  This is useful when
>   modeling a moving wall boundary that only covers part of the
>   boundary.
>
> * You may now use up to 30 different files for input as boundary
>   conditions etc.
>
> * A bug in parsing equations with "<" has been fixed.
>
> * There is now a single binary for Mac 10.5 and later.  10.4 and
>   earlier are no longer supported.
>
> * The configure script now accepts --linkflags.
>
> * Fix a bug when compiling Gale without HDF5.
>
> * Checkpointing now occurs on the first solve, before taking a time step.
>
> * Gale now works with Petsc 3.2.

Dr Laetitia Le Pourhiet
ISTEP UPMC Paris 6
+33 1 44275883