[CIG-LONG] Error when switching tag to gale 1.6.1

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jan 13 11:07:13 PST 2017

Hi Hao,

I'm not sure why the config folder is not present.  Here is a link from
the CIG website to the full source code for 1.6.1:
https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/gale/Gale-1_6_1.tgz

Again, do note that this was released in 2010 and GALE is no longer
officially supported.  Given the age of this release, the required
dependency versions may quite outdated as well (i.e. PETSc) and this
could lead to additional issues.

As was mentioned in previous emails, there are likely much better
options for the processes you are examining.  Underworld2 should have
all the functionality of GALE 1.6.1, with more stable elements and a
bunch of other new and improved features.  In addition, this (and other
codes) have a very active user base, which is not the case with GALE.  I
_*STRONGLY*_*__* suggest looking into using another code.  Happy to help
pinpoint what other code would be best suited for your purposes, but
this is about the extent of help we can provide with GALE.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis