[CIG-MC] CitComCU damage rheology

Norm Sleep norm at pangea.stanford.edu
Fri May 4 15:08:40 PDT 2007

One can use damage rheology to do nonlinear rheology with linear
code.That is, the steady state with damage and healing is power law
but each flow step is linear.  One can advect damage.  One can like
Tackley do faults with damage rheology that is steady state strain
rate strengthening at low strain rates but strain rate weakening
above a yield stress.  This can be generalized to damage tensors but
is real mess. I may try rate and state fluid in shear zone at some
stage but it does not look easy.

As anyone tried any of these?

FYI on bottom permeable boundary condition.  One must make vertical
derive of viscosity zero at the boundary.  It also helps to turn off
conduction in a way the conserves energy at and just above the
boundary.  I presume that these carry through from finite difference.

thanks

Norm