[CIG-MC] Internal heating with CitcomS

Eh Tan tan2 at geodynamics.org
Fri Oct 5 21:15:07 PDT 2007

Hi Brad,

There might be three reasons for your observation.

First, as Shijie said, the Rayleigh number in CitcomS is scaled by the
radius of the earth, not by the thickness of the mantle. As a result, a
Cartesina model with the same Rayleigh number as a spherical model with
convect ~10x more vigorously (0.45^-3).

Second, if you turn on VMIN and VMAx, the viscosity field is cliped
between visc_min and visc_max. Your viscosity might already reach
visc_min, so further temperature increase won't decrease your viscosity.

Third, the most likely reason why your temperature never goes above 1,
CitcomS has a Lenardic-type filter on the temperature field. The filter
will clip the temperature above 1 and below 0, while keeping the total
energy conserved. The purpose of the filter is to suppress numerical
artifact from the advection term, but the filter is not physics based.
The filter is only documemted in the manual appendix and is probably one
of the few "gotchas" in the code. For the upcoming CitcomS release, the
filter is turned off by default. For CitcomS-2.2 or earlier, you can
turn the filter off by adding these lines in your input cfg file:

[CitcomS.solver.tsolver]
filter_temp = off

Hope this help.

----
Eh Tan
Staff Scientist
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
2750 E. Washington Blvd. Suite 210
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 395-1693
http://www.geodynamics.org