[CIG-MC] Ridge rots and blow ups in CitcomS

Thorsten Becker twb at usc.edu
Fri Oct 12 17:59:15 PDT 2007

Hi Eh,

I am a bit confused about the net rotation removal routine

remove_rigid_rot in Global_operations.c

in CitcomS. Has this always been there, or is this a relatively new
addition?

I had recently also built in a (slightly different) net rotation
removal routine as

lib/Determine_net_rotation.c:53:double
determine_model_net_rotation(struct All_variables *,double *);

which I activate only in the gzipped output routine in a post-processing
step if

gzdir_rnr=on

and not at every time step. I noticed the new routine because it lead
to a blow up of velocities if stress-dependent viscosity iterations
were performed after a tic_method=-1 restart, for reasons unclear to me
right now.

Could we maybe set

remove_rigid_rotation

to an "off" default for now?

Thanks for any comments

 Thorsten W Becker                 Department of Earth Sciences
 University of Southern California              p: 213.740.8365
 Los Angeles CA 90089-0740   http://geodynamics.usc.edu/~becker