[CIG-MC] Ridge rots and blow ups in CitcomS

Shijie Zhong Shijie.Zhong at Colorado.Edu
Sat Oct 13 02:18:43 PDT 2007

Thorsten,

remove_rigid_rot() was added only ~ a week ago (you really keep things updated). In the new release (possibly next week?), the purpose of this routine will be explained. I am working on a benchmark paper (would have been done already if not for this rigid body rotation) that would detail this issue. I can explain to you (and those who may be interested) briefly here.

For the stokes' flow in a spherical shell, it is possible to add an arbitrary ridge body rotation to the flow and the governing equations will still be satisfied (i.e., the rigid body rotation is unconstrained). In most calculations (as far as I know), this mode of rigid body rotation is never important. However, for some reasons, it may show up in some other cases (e.g., thermochemical convection, as Allen McNamara discovered, or mobile-lid convection with continental keels). When the rigid body rotation is present in a calculation, it can seriously and unnecessarily reduce time step (delta t) in convection calculation, as delta t is determined by maximum velocity, and it also leads to ambiguity in velocities (i.e., reference frame issue, important for plate tectonics related topics and benchmark purposes).

I think that a proper reference frame is no-net-rotation for the whole MANTLE (different from no-net-rotation for lithosphere as used sometimes in plate tectonics related studies). In the past, as what you have done, I have used a post-processing routine to remove the rigid body rotation for the whole mantle (e.g., Zhong [2001]). Allen then found that the rigid body rotation sometimes gave him too small delta t in time-dependent thermochemical convection calculations, so he coded a routine into CitcomS (thermochemical one in 2004) that can be called every time step.

I recently "re-learnt" the lesson when working on a benchmark paper (more complete description on this issue is in that paper). I "wasted" more than a month in trying to figure out why two resolution test cases for thermochemical convection that differ only in resolution have very different Vrms, while heat flux is nearly the same. It turns out that the high resolution case somehow has some rigid body rotation.
At the end, I think that we should include this routine and that the rigid body rotation should be removed every time step, although it does not affect the dynamics. This also gives us a reference frame for all the velocities (i.e., no-net-rotation for the mantle). There should be two routines in CitcomS right now, one is Allen's original one, and the other (being called) is a simplified version from Allen's.

Now to the non-Newtonian issue, I cannot see why this routine should not mess up the non-Newtonian iterations. There might be some incompartibility issue between this routine and CIG's version (?). Perhaps, you can turn it off for now.

Shijie

Shijie Zhong
Department of Physics
University of Colorado at Boulder