[CIG-MC] problem launching citcoms without Batch system

Robert Moucha rmoucha at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:13:45 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone else had a problem launching citcoms without
the use of a Batch system.  It appears that the job is launched only
on the head node. I installed the latest 3.0.2 version and issued the
following command in a working directory (the path to the
CitcomS-3.0.2/bin is set)

$ citcoms example1.cfg mymachines4.cfg --solver.datadir=/state/partition1/test

Cannot make new directory '/state/partition1/test'
Cannot make new directory '/state/partition1/test'
Cannot make new directory '/state/partition1/test'
Cannot make new directory '/state/partition1/test'
--pyre-start: mpirun: exit 8
/home/moucha/CitcomS-3.0.2/bin/citcoms:
/home/moucha/CitcomS-3.0.2/bin/pycitcoms: exit 1

The file mymachines4.cfg contains:

[CitcomS.launcher]
nodegen = c0-%g
nodelist = [1-4]

The mpirun.nodes file has:

c0-1
c0-2
c0-3
c0-4

which is correct for our cluster.

The above error makes sense, because I don't have write privileges to
/state directory on the head node.  If I changed the datadir parameter
to a directory that I have write access to on the head node, the
program runs without a problem (but only on the head node).
Incidentally, the following command runs without problem on the
compute nodes:

mpirun -nolocal -np 4 -machinefile mpirun.nodes
~/CitcomS-3.0.2/bin/CitcomSRegional example1b.cfg

I'm using Python 2.4.5, gcc-3.4.6, mpich 1.2.7p1 (can provide further
info if need be).

Thanks
Rob