[CIG-MC] Zero shear stresses with free-slip boundary conditions

Shijie Zhong Shijie.Zhong at Colorado.Edu
Fri Jan 9 07:57:38 PST 2009

Dear Mr. Natarajan,

Eh is probably out of town at the moment, and I would be happy to answer your question.

Can you please provide more information? 3D cartesian or regional spherical models? Generally speaking, shear stresses are non-zero numerically at the free-slip boundaries, but if you plot them against the distance from the boundaries, you should see that the stresses decrease towards zero rapidly as the distance decreases.

To reduce the email traffic, you can send your follow-up questions to me and Eh.

Cheers,

Shijie

Shijie Zhong
Department of Physics