[CIG-MC] computing spherical harmonic functions, and CitcomS Legendre polynomial normalization

Robert Moucha rmoucha at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:06:10 PST 2010

Thanks for the notes Shijie.

While we are on the topic of spherical harmonics.  I noticed that
within CitComS 3.1.1 there is an option to compute the spherical
harmonics representation of the temperature field using the function
debug_sphere_expansion(). I myself have found this to be most useful
and I have added an output option in my version of CitComS to generate
the spherical harmonics of the temperature field at each monitoring
step. For L=64, the computing cost is small.  I have also done the
same for the dynamic topography (already calculated for the geoid).
Perhaps if others would find this to be useful, the spherical harmonic
output option could be included in future versions.

BTW, for my visualizations I use MATLAB, and even on my laptop I have
been able to easily and quickly generate cross-sections or maps for up
to L=512 -- something that would be impossible to do with equivalent
resolution using the spatial representation of the field.

Cheers
Rob