[CIG-MC] computing spherical harmonic functions, and CitcomS Legendre polynomial normalization

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 4 12:19:28 PST 2010

Hello Shijie,

Yes this is very helpful. Its wasn't clear to me that by including the
normalization factor
in the recursion relation that would lead to the extra factors. I
tried to back this
out from the code, but its sometimes harder to go backwards,
especially with the factorials
and the !! terms.

Thank you for spending the time on this. I'll work through the math to
make sure I follow each
step. I also think it would be good to have CIG add you one page
explanation to the documentation for the geoid in CitcomS since it is
not derived elsewhere. Along with a note specifying to the user that
they must use the same modified legendre polynmials in expanding the
geoid coefficients from CitcomS to make a map of the geoid (i.e.,
reading these into matlab and using their legendre functions won't
work).

Thanks again,
Magali

mibillen at ucdavis.edu