[CIG-MC] Setting surface T doesn't work?

Dan Bower danb at gps.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 19 10:18:51 PDT 2012

Hi Matt,

Surface T is a parameter used in the compressible /
extended-Boussinesq formulation of the code.  It is equal to the
absolute temperature of the surface, and is needed to correctly
compute the adiabatic cooling/heating term in the energy equation.  It
is not required if you are only using the Boussinesq formulation (i.e.
Di=0).  Remember that in simple Boussinesq convection it is only the
temperature difference that is relevant.

toptbcval is the non-dimensional value of the surface temperature -
usually zero (which could correspond to approx 300 K).  In
compressible / Ex-B modeling, with dT=3000 K, you might set the
following:

Tsurf=0.1
toptbcval=0

Note that Citcoms may assume that the temperature always lies between
0 and 1 - I believe there is truncation in the viscosity formulation.
So I wouldn't advise setting any temperature boundary conditions > 1
(or < 0 !).

Hope this helps,

Dan