[CIG-MC] Setting surface T doesn't work?

Matt Weller Matt.B.Weller at rice.edu
Thu Apr 19 10:00:16 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I noticed that when I set surface T to *any value*, there was no change in
the surface temperature. However, if I set toptbc=1 and toptbcval=X, where
X is any value, then the surface T is the value X. Is there any particular
reason why the surfaceT switch wouldn't work?

While on this subject, if surfaceT is not utilized, and toptbcval is set to
the default of 0, is it a safe assumption that the body would be in direct
contact, and in thermal equilibrium, with space (surface value of 0)? i.e.
No thermal contributions from exterior (e.g. stellar), or interior (e.g.
trapped heat from atmosphere/ conductive lid ) sources.

Thanks,

~Matt
________________________________
________________________________
________________________________

Matt B. Weller
Graduate Research Assistant
Keith-Weiss Geological Lab 232-B
Department of Earth Sciences
Rice University
6100 Main St. MS-126
Houston, TX 77005-1892

Matt.B.Weller at rice.edu
weller at lpi.usra.edu

"No matter where you go - there you are"

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”

-Confucius