[CIG-MC] I Need Your Help

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 16 14:29:25 PDT 2014

Hello Mohammad,

On May 15, 2014, at 3:44 AM, mohammad shahrad <modaeirah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear administrator
>      Lots of thanks for accessible free source and manual of CitcomS
> and all of your products and best regards to your scientific and
> developer team.I am student of M.Sc Physics -Geodynamics in Iran and
> my thesis title is " Heat transfer theory in the Earth with
> temperature dependent viscosity condition and formation of Lithosphere
> ", so I want to solve the partial differential equations of
> mass,momentum,energy in the first steps on my work. We would like to
> do it even in 2D. I have found CitcomS as you and your respectful team
> had done it absolutely brilliant. Could you please Help me about the
> following questions and guide me in my work:
>
> 1- There is a 24 core PC,Can I run CitcomS with it?or Could you tell
> me if I would run it on such system how long does it take to have some
> reasonable data for each time?

This really depends on what sort of problem you want to run.  You can find example runtimes for different processor counts at:

http://wiki.geodynamics.org/software:citcoms:start#scalability_results

> 2- Can I use CitcomS as a software to have the proper results with
> such a processor or in related on my thesis? Other softwares of yours
> can help me too?

The other code you might look at is ASPECT, available at:

http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/aspect/

> 3- Could you please help me with other references in addition to the manual?

You can find references to other work done with CitcomS and ASPECT at:

http://geodynamics.org/cig/news/publications/

Good luck,

-Eric