[CIG-MC] Some Questions about CitcomS

譚諤 (Eh Tan) tan2 at earth.sinica.edu.tw
Tue May 27 22:51:36 PDT 2014

Dear Mohammad (cc to cig-mc),

Some of your questions have been answered by Eric on CIG-MC mailing list in
May 17. Maybe you are not subscribed to the mailing list? Here is the link
to Eric's reply:
https://geodynamics.org/pipermail/cig-mc/2014-May/000593.html

I will answer your other questions below.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 5:31 AM, mohammad shahrad <
shahrad_mohammad at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Eh Tan
>         I am student of M.Sc Physics -Geodynamics in Iran and my thesis
> title is " Heat transfer theory in the Earth under temperature dependent
> viscosity condition and formation of Lithosphere ", so I would solve the
> partial differential equations of mass,momentum,energy in the first steps
> on my work. We would like to do it even in 2D. But then I found CitcomS
> absolutely brilliant package as a free and opensource software. In most of
> cases the CitcomS manual was presented by CIG can not help me to be more
> introduced to the software,in addition I could not have any reply from
> them. Could you please Help me about the following questions and guide me
> in my work:
>
> 1- Can I use CitcomS as a software to have the proper results with such a
> processor of a 24 core cluster or in related on my thesis? Other softwares
> of CIG can help me too?
>
> 2- Is it possible to run CitcomS with such a cluster of a 24 core
> system?or Could you tell me about the running time to reach some reasonable
> data for each time?
>
> 3- Could you please help me with other references in addition to the
> CitcomS' manual?
>
> 4- How does the algorithm work or what is the solution algorithm?

This is described in Chapter 1 of the manual.

> 5- How new projects for example combining the cookbooks of CitcomS or
> anything new can be made?

I am not sure I understand your question correctly. You can combine the
parameters used in several cookbooks in your model.

For example, if you want to run a regional model with plate history
(cookbook 2) and temperature dependent viscosity (cookbook 3), you can copy
those parameters under [CitcomS.solver.visc] to the cookbook 2 example.

> 6- I need to know more about the outputs of the software for example
> output data files such as pid 2255,pid 2405,pid 2660 which have been
> produced while Cookbook1 have been running or any other information about
> the output data,Waht is the meaning of the output data?, and any advices to
> visualise them by OpenDX or GMT or any other visualisation programmes.

The content of pid files are explained in Section 5.2 in the manual (search
"pid" within the pdf file). The other output data is explained in Appendix
C.

Since the model is in 3d, you will need opendx (or other 3d vis. program)
to interactively visualize the result. The GMT script is for experienced
user to generate publish-quality 2d plot.

> I am very unexperienced about this software but I am really interested to
> learn more and more and I try to be follower of great scientists which
> adore science.
>
> Lots of Respects
>
> Mohammad Shahrad

Cheers,