[CIG-MC] ConMan issues report

Lyra, Wladimir wladimir.lyra at csun.edu
Wed Aug 24 16:51:26 PDT 2016

Dear all,

Thanks for all the help. I downloaded ConMan via Thorsten Becker virtualbox and checked what a variable viscosity solution should be yielding.

Based on that, I determined that my code (2D Cartesian finite difference, iterative with multigrid) is doing the correct thing but cannot go beyond a small variation in viscosity (grad(eta) ~ 10) before crashing (resolution Nx=Nz=256).

Before abandoning this approach and move to using one of the several codes already available, I would like to understand why is it that this method is failing. In other words, I'm still puzzled as to how exactly were the software from the 90's able to solve the problem of variable viscosity. Is it better conservation in the finite element method as opposed to finite differences?

I'm using a very high order FDM (6th order in space, 3rd in time) and I'm seeing results still similar to if I use low (2nd) order in space.  In the Blankenbach et al 1989 benchmark several codes were FD.

Cheers,

Wlad

Dr Wladimir Lyra, Assistant Professor

California State University, Northridge