[CIG-MC] ConMan issues report

Matthew Knepley knepley at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 24 17:44:16 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Lyra, Wladimir <wladimir.lyra at csun.edu>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for all the help. I downloaded ConMan via Thorsten Becker
> virtualbox and checked what a variable viscosity solution should be
> yielding.
>

> Based on that, I determined that my code (2D Cartesian finite difference,
> iterative with multigrid) is doing the correct thing but cannot go beyond a
> small variation in viscosity (grad(eta) ~ 10) before crashing (resolution
> Nx=Nz=256).

What does "crashing" mean? Non-convergence?

By Multigrid do you mean multigrid on the momentum operator and then some
iteration for mass conservation like Uzawa,
or a Schur complement method or preconditioner? For variable viscosity
using a Schur complement method, its important
to have a preconditioner for the Schur complement that is uniform in the
coefficient. You can get most of this by diagonal
weighting (
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S003192010800191X) but you
can do even better by using a
mass matrix (http://arxiv.org/abs/1607.03936). FEM methods can have
excellent scaling even for very large viscosity
variations if you use a stable FEM discretization, as shown in
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2683624, which is a freely
available software package.

   Matt

experiments lead.