[CIG-MC] I need a material model with depth dependent density (only).

Elbridge Gerry Puckett egp at math.ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 23 17:15:25 PDT 2016

Dear Eric,

I'm pretty certain your suggestion will  not work for our problem: note

  \Delta T = T - T_0

where T_0 is a reference temperature. The destiny depends on T
I need a material model of the form

\rho_0 + \Delta \rho + \rho_0 \alpha \Delta T    = if z < 0.5 D

\rho(T) =

\rho_0 - \Delta \rho + \rho_0 \alpha \Delta T     = if z > 0.5 D

where D is the height of the domain.

but the equation is different when z < 0.5 than when z > 0.5.  Again, note that The density in this model does NOT advect with the flow; i.e., we do not solve

 D \rho / D t = 0

where D  / D is the material derivative.