[CIG-MC] Installing ASPECT on Cray XC30

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Tue Jul 11 11:10:30 PDT 2017

On 07/10/2017 06:00 PM, Marine Lasbleis wrote:

> [0]PETSC ERROR: [1]PETSC ERROR: [3]PETSC ERROR: [2]PETSC ERROR:
> [0]PETSC ERROR:
> [2]PETSC ERROR:
> [1]PETSC ERROR: [3]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 8 FPE: Floating Point
> Exception,probably divide by zero
> [1]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
> Caught signal number 8 FPE: Floating Point Exception,probably divide by zero

ASPECT uses signaling floating point NaNs to track down errors, but as Matt
already mentioned, the error is only caught -- not generated -- by PETSc.

Do you get the same error if you run with one processor? If so, do you know
how to generate a backtrace in a debugger to figure out where this is happening?

(I'll mention that on some systems with some compilers, we have seen these
sorts of floating point exceptions come out of the standard C library --
that's highly annoying because it means that the system is defeating our ways
of debugging problems. In that case, you can just disable floating point
exceptions when you run ASPECT's cmake script. I think there is a blurb about
that in the readme file. But before you do that, I'd still be interested to
see whether you can get a backtrace :-) )

Best
  W.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu