[CIG-MC] Installing ASPECT on Cray XC30

Marine Lasbleis marine.lasbleis at elsi.jp
Wed Jul 12 00:38:37 PDT 2017

Dear Timo and Wolfgang,

I tried with the flag  -D ASPECT_USE_FP_EXCEPTIONS=OFF, and ASPECT is indeed running!
(by the way, which would be the best example to use from the cookbook to check how well aspect is running? I tried the convection-box. I want to use ASPECT for inner core, so I’ll be also running the inner core cookbook soon)

amongst other things we also tried:
- same than before, with apron -n 1 (so monoproc), same error.
- static installation (following subsection  3.3.5 Compiling a static ASPECT executable)
It did not work on our cluster (not sure why, but building of trilinos failed)

So, is there any reason the -D ASPECT_USE_FP_EXCEPTIONS=OFF should not be used?
"Do you get the same error if you run with one processor? If so, do you know how to generate a backtrace in a debugger to figure out where this is happening?”
> Yes, same error. No, I don’t know how to do a backtrace. If you think I should try, please let me know! (either with explanation on how to do it, or I’ll have a look at internet)

I will investigate a little bit more how well the runs are, and trying a couple of examples to be sure it seems to work. I’ll install it on other sessions of the cluster as well.

Thank you!
And thank you so much for the candi.sh script adapted to Cray :-) I tried installing ASPECT on the cluster (and on my mac) a couple of years ago, but with no success. Also, as we are a couple of people here in ELSI this summer wanting to use ASPECT, I installed it with docker on another colleague’s mac, and it seems to be working correctly (at first, I gave her my old virtual machine from a summer workshop in 2014). It’s likely that you’ll get questions from people in Nantes (France) willing to use ASPECT on their own cluster as well.

Best,
Marine

Marine Lasbleis

=====