[CIG-MC] AGU's new data policy

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 13 01:40:55 PDT 2018

One other thought about the AGU’s new data policy.

What are people’s thoughts about using movies of simulation output as a way of archiving the model results?

These have to put together well to document the model results, but together with the ability to rerun a model, they are a much smaller way to archive results.  I also find that in reviewing papers that have time-dependent models, its nice to see movies that document the full dynamics  beyond what can be shown
in snap-shots. Often what we put in the paper depends on what we are focused on in that particular manuscript, but there is often a lot more that could later be “mined” from model results. Making the
movies allows others to see the data mining potential of the model results, for questions that we might
not have consider ourselves. This of course is more difficult for 3D simulations, but I still think it could
be a good way of making the model results more transparent and useful.

Thoughts - should movies be part of a CIG recommendation for how to archive results for manuscripts?
Magali

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 1:17 AM, Scott King <sdk at vt.edu> wrote:
>

> Well said!
>
>> On Mar 6, 2018, at 9:37 PM, Louise Kellogg <lhkellogg at ucdavis.edu <mailto:lhkellogg at ucdavis.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> I have similar concerns about the cost-benefit. Among other things, the cost of *reproducing* a calculation presumably generally drops over time, making me question the value of storing the model output vs. regenerating it. The geodynamo calculations are an exception because they were so expensive to generate.
>>
>> This is different for the seismic and geodetic observations stored by IRIS and UNAVCO, which are not reproducible since they are observations of the natural system.
>>
>> I also have a concern about discoverability. If you store your model outputs on a system provided by VT and I store mine on a UC system, would anyone really be able to find them? We as a community have not agreed on metadata or other relevant information for finding data. So I fear we may end up with a pricy “write once, read never” system.

Professor of Geophysics
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis
Davis, CA 95616
2129 Earth & Physical Sciences Bldg.
Office Phone: (530) 752-4169
http://magalibillen.faculty.ucdavis.edu

Currently on Sabbatical at Munich University (LMU)
Department of Geophysics (PST + 9 hr)

Avoid implicit bias - check before you submit:
http://www.tomforth.co.uk/genderbias/